Why Tough Mudder 5km in the City should be your first obstacle race
The introduction of a new Obstacle Course Race series from Tough Mudder, 5km in the city, is the perfect introduction of OCR (obstacle course race) to first timers. Here’s 5 reasons why.
- It’s Tough Mudder – Possibly the best known brand in the world. Here in the UK, each event weekend welcomes around 20,000 participants. Tough Mudder know how to put on obstacle races for the masses. With so many runners, you can be sure the race is well organised and that the obstacles are built to stand up to the punishment of 250,000 bodies climbing over them each year.
- Location – The “In the city” series was just that – easy to get to City Park locations across the country to entice more participants who may not want to travel far for their first race. This year the are 5 locations, but I am sure with the success of the new “In the City” series, Tough Mudder will be visiting more cities in 2019.
- Obstacles – Tough Mudder know how to put on obstacle races and thy definitely know how to build obstacles. 5km in the City has the right balance of obstacles (10 over 5km) that are fun, challenging enough for first timers, whilst having the all important Tough Mudder element of “Team Work”. Skid Marked, Hero Walls and Pyramid Scheme are where team work is required, whilst Hanging Out, Giant A Hole and Everest are the more challenging elements. This race series made a big noise about having no mud, water or electric shocks. Something that could have put off first time participants from entering an OCR. The added bonus that people could then finish the obstacle course, enjoy the event village before going home on public transport without the need to change.
- Atmosphere – The event village was tightly packed with plenty of things to do, whilst 3 obstacles and the finish line were around the perimeter. This meant that spectators (free entry) could enjoy the bar and other entertainment whilst waiting for their friends and family to finish. The inclusion of a live DJ and MC added to the atmosphere. On course, 80% of people were running an OCR for the first time, so everyone was getting to grips with the new challenges facing them, whilst helping everyone up and over too.
- Value for Money – Prices for the 5km started from £25. Included in the price is the race, photos, finisher t shirt, finisher drink and that all important headband. Whilst in the village there were plenty of other freebies from the vendors.
Hopefully the video above will entice you to take on your first ever obstacle race. If you’re interested in your first Tough Mudder, you have to be quick as there are now only two Tough Mudder 5km in the City venues left:
- Edinburgh – 25th August
- Clapham Common, London – 12th/13th October
Or you can just jump straight into your first Half or Full event – read more about the Tough Mudder formats in an earlier post
Tough Mudder Discount code for 2021
As a Tough Mudder UK ambassador, one of my roles is to introduce new people to Tough Mudder. With that, I have been given a Tough Mudder discount code worth 20% to entice newbies to try it out for the first time. Just use the Tough Mudder discount code BRAND21UK88FZ26 at checkout. The code is valid for Classic and 5km races but not for the Virtual, City or Tougher events (sorry).
2021 Tough Mudder Discount code for Toughest Mudder & Worlds Toughest Mudder
For the legionnaires, if you are looking to take it to the next level, I have a Tough Mudder discount code for the Toughest (12 hour) and World’s Toughest Mudder helping you to save 20% on your first Toughest Mudder! Use the Toughest Mudder discount code BRAND21UK88FZ26 at check out. This discount code is valid for Europe’s Toughest Mudder, American Toughest Mudder and World’s Toughest Mudder races.
Note the 20% is only available until the end of January 2021 and will revert to £10 discount (£20 for Toughest races). The Tough Mudder discount code is only available to people running Tough Mudder for the first time and available for “Classic” 10mile and 5km races only. The Urban/City 10km and 5km races are not included in this discount (sorry, thems the rules!)
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to my mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.