2020 Race Review
Let’s face it, 2020 didn’t turn out how any body expected. That being said, my first part of the year was sort of going to plan and then the pandemic hit! Lockdown 1 happened, released to do a few more races and then lockdown 2 happened. Some great runs, a lot of canceled runs (some very last minute) and some interesting virtuals. Ive written a short summary of each race I managed to take part in as well as links to the YouTube videos I’ve uploaded.
- Tatton Park 10km – Local race to me set in the beautiful Tatton Park. I ran this 3 times over 2020 and will continue to run in 2021 too
- Alsager 5 mile – My first Alsager 5, even though I have lived very close to the start line (I could have run to it for a warm up) I was always too late to sign up, such was the popularity. Mostly because its the first race on the NSRA calendar. Really enjoyable, relatively flat and very well supported along the route
- Chennai 10km – Always lots of races around Chennai. This one was an out and back – not even 10km which was a shame.
- MEPZ Run (10km) – A very popular run with 3 distances. Would definitely do this one again.
- Beat Beethoven 5m – A 5km, 2 lap run around Salford Quays in aid of Sport Relief. The target is to beat Beethoven’s fifth symphony (around 28 minutes long). No medal here, great t shirt though and all for a good cause.
- Chester 10km – This is a fantastic run. Very well supported along the whole route whilst the last 800m through the city is a fantastic finish. If you only watch a part of my video – watch the last 30 seconds!
- Solo Mudders Virtual OCR – Complete 10 “obstacles” along with a warm up and finisher drink to obtain this beautiful wooden medal. Had a lot of fun creating my own race and filming
- Fitwins Virtual – Download the app, Fitwins have a virtual race each month whilst earning an awesome looking medal
- Solstice24 Virtual – Replacement run for the postponed Solstice24 based in the grounds of Belvoir Castle.
- Run the Lights 10km – Although the race itself wasn’t cancelled, the race route had to be altered. Didn’t really “race the lights”. It was pretty much a very dak out and back 10km. Hopefully back to it’s original route in 2021 and I will have more fun.
- Europes Toughest Mudder Virtual – Another replacement for a postponed race.
- Lee Valley 10km – I ran this race twice over the year. Laps around the 1mile Lee Valley Road Cycle Route. Undulating and not condusive to a PB!
- Derwent Water 15km – Over 500m of elevation over the route – some really beautiful scenery and had it not been so wet, I would have got better footage. Definitely doing another Lakes race again in 2021
- Cheshire 10km – Another amended route which made it an out and back from Arley Hall. Very Flat and a new 10km PB!
- Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park 10km – 2.5 laps around the Olympic Park (another re-routed course) The original route takes in more of the sites of the Olympic Park – maybe next year I can run past the Orbital, Copperbox and Olympic Stadium as part of the route
- Toughest Race Virtual – Another replacement for a cancelled race. Different from other virtuals I have participated in as you could tune in live and “race” in real time with the Toughest Crew. 1 hour session which was more akin to a met-con session with some running. Great medal and had fun!
With a ton of postponements, my 2021 season is already starting to fill up with a full Tough Mudder season and (probably) a RunThrough season pass too. Let’s hope with the vaccine, we can get things under control and get back to some form of normality!
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to my mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.